Tom Swegle is a serial entrepreneur who chases opportunities that focus on investing, developing and launching business entities that build value within the prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) biopharmaceutical and life sciences sectors. Example sectors include clinical pharmaceutical organizations, e-commerce pet medications, and medical marijuana companies.
Tom has been a partner and CEO for biopharmaceutical institutions such as RegenaCorp and MedCara Pharmaceuticals, working throughout his career to push the envelopes of science, technology and commercial strategy from products developed from the bench of compounding pharmacies. Tom has invested in and/or worked for entrepreneurial companies such as VetCara, NuCara Management Group, Paragon Manufacturing, John Deere Health and The Meyocks Group.
He has successfully developed and implemented a compounding prescription model to dispense products such as Med101 under the brand name WartPEEL®, a topical prescription treatment for resistant warts that can be prescribed in all 50 U.S. states. The development of WartPEEL® has resulted in the creation of marketing and pharmacy operations, distribution, reimbursement strategies and supporting infrastructures for the Med101 therapy, thus gaining valuable anecdotal patient feedback and impressive revenue streams.
Tom has over 10 years of pharmaceutical executive experience that has involved the direction, preparation and implementation of out-licensing and partner materials including investor briefing documents, financial and valuation models, market scaling, intellectual property, clinical and regulatory data. Tom has successfully negotiated with the FDA to approve pre-clinical data and received approval to begin Phase I human studies and filing for Med101. He has directed the consultant services in preparing, filing, and otherwise advising in the preparation and filing of INDs, Supplemental NDAs, NDAs, investigational brochures, labeling, orphan applications and Investigator INDs. He has negotiated with the FDA on pre-IND, end of phase I-II, pre-NDA meetings and resolution of clinical hold and general issues.
His expertise is not restricted to biopharmaceutical advisory services as he has led the successful completion of multiple projects focused on market and healthcare industries. Tom’s broad experience includes establishing multiple collaborations within the dermatological, dental prescription and OTC markets as well.
Tom Swegle is classically trained in business development and has honed his expertise while stewarding some of the highest profiled brands in the world and over the past 20 years has contributed to effectively demonstrating product value through strategic branding and market planning.
A Fortune 150 Executive and Marketing Leader, Tom received a “Gold” acknowledgement for healthcare branding by the National Healthcare Marketing Report. He has enjoyed a diverse marketing and management career that has included key positions with well-known firms and brands including John Deere.
Entrepreneurial by nature, Tom has more than two decades of experience in start-ups and turnaround management. Throughout his career, he has utilized his marketing experience to build effective communication programs for small and midsize businesses leading to a solid track record of increasing brand equity, reducing costs and streamlining communications in a wide range of situations.
Skilled in all areas of marketing management with richly varied communication experiences, Tom has a record of exceeding client objectives while achieving double-digit gains in awareness, revenues and profits. He has successfully developed product expansions worldwide building premier distribution networks, creating innovative advertising and expanding into new industries and markets.
Accomplishments and Affiliations
- Recipient, IRS Therapeutic Discovery Research Grant (2009)
- Recipient, State of Iowa DEMOSTRATION Fund Grant (2011)
- Sponsor, co-funded Proof of Concept study, Med101, Wake Forest University (2012)
- Chairman, Iowa Biotechnology Association, Board of Directors – (2012-2014)
- Research Committee Member, International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists Foundation (2012)
- Member, Battelle Steering Committee, Innovate Iowa – (2010-Present)
- Published Editorials, Biotechnology, Des Moines Register/Cedar Rapids Gazette (2011, 2012, 2014)
- VentureNet Iowa – Expert Review Panel Participant – (Present)
- Finalist, John Pappajohn Iowa Business Plan Competition for Med101 (2006)
- Affidare, U.S. Patent 7,655,6687 (February 2, 2010) – Composition and Method for Treatment of Warts
- Affidare, U.S. Patent 8,236,814 (August 6, 2012) –Method for Treatment of Warts
- Affidare, U.S. Patent Application Serial No 11/369,638 – Topical Antipsychotic Composition
- Manager, U.S. Patent 5,994,399 – Method of Regenerating Collagen Containing Tissues with Misoprostol
- Presenter, Bio Mid-America Healthcare Venture Forum (2008)
- Presenter, Bio Mid-America Healthcare Venture Forum (2004)
- Presenter, Venture Network of Iowa (2004)
- Sponsor, co-funded investigational immune modulation in canines, Iowa State University, Veterinary Teaching Hospital (2011)
- Sponsor, co-funded investigational wound healing promotion of misoprostol, Iowa State University, Veterinary Teaching Hospital (2004)
- Guest Lecturer, Drake University